Home | Pioneers | Contact Us | Copyright/Disclaimer
Mining Industries on the Monaro
Copper was prospected for at Middle Flat about six miles East of Cooma, in about 1880 but nothing much was done till about 1897, when a small No-liability Company was formed under the management of Mr. Win. H. Skidmore. The company ceased operations in 1898. Values show copper as high as 52.5 per cent., gold 4 OZ. 18 dwts. 6 grs., and silver 10 oz. 6 dwts. 5 grs. per ton. These are the best results from a series of assays taken between 1898 and August, 1899.
Transcribed by Pattrick Mould in 2003, from the book "Back to Cooma' Celebrations" page 51