William Valentine Herbert
The Kybeyan Valley was opened up in the late 1840s by squatter settlements. The most distinguished runs were Kybeyan owned by Charles Throsby and Kydra belonging to George Brown.
In 1937, two blocks were purchased and a third by 1949 by the Herbert Family establishing ‘Nandawar’ property. The first of these blocks were purchased in 1937 by William Valentine Herbert of ‘Eucumbene’ Adaminaby. The sale consisted of two blocks called ‘Jumbunna’ and ‘The Ranch’. These were both owned by Mrs Hain.
Stan and Nan Pfahl purchased a block from Jock Campbell in 1945, which was known as the ‘Langely’.
In 1949 Mrs AMA Herbert (Pops) purchased land from Stan and Nan, which was then known as ‘Yalo’. EM Herbert otherwise known as Mike (son of WV and AMA Herbert) took over the management of ‘Nandawar’ at the age of 19 in 1958, and took over the full ownership of ‘Nandawar’ in 1972 after his mother died.
Mike married Joanna Mitchell of ‘Carawatha’ Dalgety on 30/11/1963. They lived at ‘Nandawar’ until Mike died on 23/1/2002. Joey stayed on at ‘Nandawar’.
The construction of the homestead at ‘Nandawar’ was organised by Mike in 1959 and was built by Reg Threw of Thredbo. Mike constructed the log cabin in 1977 as an extension of the original house.
Mike and Joey had three daughters. Amanda married Ron Horton and now live at Craigie near Delegate. Georgie married Charlie Hood and live near Bombala, Kate married Anthony Waldren and live in the ACT.